Previously I posted about manually programming the new Leixen VV-898 from Radioddity, and tonight had the opportunity to program the radio using CHIRP and the programming cable Radioddity just sent me. I downloaded CHIRP, plugged in the cable, and downloaded the settings from my radio. I made a couple of changes, and uploaded the changes back to the radio. What follows are the steps I took, and a video of my setup. Enjoy!
- Download the CHIRP daily build from http://chirp.danplanet.com/ (the stable build does not have Leixen support)
- Install the CHIRP software
- If you get a message that the software may not have installed properly, just override and click the button to tell it that it did.
- Plug in usb cable into the computer, wait for prolific driver to install (can take a few minutes). then plug the other end into the radio (microphone jack)
- Now run the chirp program (it will be on your programs menu)
- Click “Radio” on the menu, and choose “Download from radio”
- You will be asked for the port number, vendor (Leixen), and the model (VV-898). click ok.
- A “cloning from radio” progress bar pops up.
- When it’s done, the radio will play a tune, and a spreadsheet of your settings will show.
- Make changes per your repeater requirements.
- Click radio on the menu, and upload your changes back to the radio.
Official CHIRP Documentation – http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Beginners_Guide